Tuesday, October 31, 2006

[IPPT No.2]

The Miracle Leap


It's amazing what the human mind can do when it sets itself a target to achieve. There I was on a cool Thursday evening, the 26th of October, exactly 12 days after my first IPPT attempt... knees slighlty bent, legs spread comfortably apart, arms relaxed and swinging lightly in a forward motion as I stared intensely at the white markings on the Standing Broad Jump (SBJ) mat/machine/sensor (whatever you call those new gadgets). I was not only determined this time round to pass my initial attempt of 234cm, but to exceed the 5 pts standard of 239cm. Now, that meant an additional distance of 6cm, of which I barely achieved during my trial jumps along my corridor (if you're wondering, I used a measuring tape and stuck it onto the tiled floor with some old yellow cellophone tape).

It didn't help that my hamstrings felt tight that afternoon, probably a result from Monday's 12km tempo run. I knew I had done my best during the week already... did my tuck jumps, calf workouts, power leaps. Even changed my shoes to my trusty pair of Asics DS Trainers. I warmed up well and was quite psyched up to leap like Mr. Spidyman. Hey, on a side note, never downplay the power of mental preparation... I found it very beneficial in conditioning one's mind to feel confident... yes... like you're suddenly transformed into... into a kangaroo?? (oh, but this one is 'teng lang" (local), not ang moh aussie breed)

And so I said my final prayers and... JUMPED. (ok, almost typed 'jamped'). I landed firmly and immediatedly fixed my eyes on the score board at the bottom...

250cm.

*blink* *blink* yes, i couldn't quite believe what I saw. My highest ever recorded jump I believe..... thank you Lord!

The other stations strangely became a breeze to complete. I finished my run in a faster timing and left the place a happier person and $200 richer in my pocket.

Yay. =)


God of wonders beyond our galaxy...


Fishmonger

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home