Tuesday, October 10, 2006

A New Machine



I do not own a desktop and my current 5-yr old laptop is on life support right now. The time has come for me to consider a..... NEW MACHINE!!! Muahahahaha. The iMac pictured above has caught my eye for a while now. It runs on Intel's Core 2 Dual processor, the first Apple computer ever built around an Intel CPU, displacing the PowerPC family used for the past 12 years. My only real concern is that PowerPC applications such as Photoshop, Finalcut Pro and Flash doesn't work so well on an iMac Intel as compared to the trusty G5 CPU. Especially when you're using it for heavy duty production work. Reviews say pro "creative" users will need to wait for their applications to be released as Universal Binaries before buying an iMac Intel, since many of these applications are entirely unsuitable (or incompatible) in their present form, and power users with special software and hardware need to check compatibility reports carefully before upgrading.

But:

1) I am not a professional "creative" user
2) The Core 2 Duo is faster, more versatile and quieter
3) I think it sits pretty in my new room
4) I do away with a chunky CPU
5) It feels nice to own one really
6) Point 5.


What's not to like??


Any views on the iMac Intel vs. PC war? Leave your comments behind and tell me if I should... well, get something else.


Fishmonger

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home