Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Olivier Gregoire

Harmon Kardon Audio Box
[single interface that supports many different types of audio]

When I was studying in Melbourne, I stayed in a walk-up apartment and met an ex-primary school classmate who was studying to be an industrial designer. I thought to myself then, "Wow... you design machines? Like those you see in factories?" I guess I got the idea from the word 'industrial'. He must have gotten used to such comments from people when he gave me a wry smile, shaked his head and drew out his portfolio to explain to me patiently what people like him did for a living.


Nicholas, as I knew him to be, went on to proudly show me some of the current work he was doing for his clients. Pretty impressive! I only knew later that one of the Sony-Ericsson phone models that was launched in 2005 was designed by Nic. Cool eh?

Well, the pictures you see here are certainly not products designed by him, although I think he probably has accumulated an impressive collection already. They belong to the handiwork of Olivier Gregoire, a product designer who is based between Paris and Nice. The prototypes shown are based on his design philosophy - a balance between art and industry, form and content, the sensitive and the functional.

I'm always amazed at how design changes our world, defines the times we live in and creates a better life for us all.

Enjoy the pictures.

Paper Bread Toaster


Embrio Lighting
[A single mould delivers 3 modules lamp that can be separated from each other
using the breakable properties of the ceramic]

Ceramic Cutlery


Music Sampler
[Download a song and listen to it through the same connection]


Fishmonger

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home