Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Jesus C.A.M.P.


Back in the days I was in Melbourne, I loved to watch Indie or locally produced arthouse films in my spare time. There was a small, quaint theatre I used to frequent which was free seating and strictly screened arthouse movies only. The Melbourne film festival would bring in some of the top award winning films and I would spend a great deal of time deliberating which films to catch due to my shoe-string budget.

Recently, I came across an Indie film that grabbed my attention almost immediatedly. Titled Jesus Camp, it is a 2006 documentary directed by Rachel Grady and Heidi Ewing about a Pentecostal summer camp for children who spend their summers learning and practicing their prophetic gifts and being taught that they can take back America for Christ. Known as the "Kids On Fire School of Ministry," a charismatic Christian summer camp located just outside Devils Lake, North Dakota and run by Becky Fischer and her ministry, Kids in Ministry International, the film focuses on three children who attended the camp in the summer of 2005 - Levi, Rachael, and Tory.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear that "Jesus Camp" was nominated for the 2007 79th Annual Academy Award (Oscar) for Best Documentary Feature. Impressive.
Watch a preview of the film below.


Think I'm gonna get my hands on a copy of the DVD soon.


Fishmonger

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home