Friday, March 30, 2007

//10TouchPoints



If you've viewed the 3 short films on my most recent post, "Better Living. Better Design", you may have seen a website that appears at the end of each film - www.10touchpoints.com.sg. Well, what's this site all about?

"Design is about the relationship people forge with things."


10TouchPoints is a project initiated by the DesignSingapore Council to bring the public, designers and service providers to collaborate in a process of redesigning everyday items or services in the public realm.

Browsing through the website, I was particularly drawn to 10TouchPoints's design philosophy - "Design makes up what is around you. Design is about the relationships people forge with things. Design is thus something we value as it has an effect on how we get to work, better communicate and the energy we save. Good design puts people in the centre of the design process. It incorporates systems thinking, technology, historical and contextual relevance. It is economically viable. It is informed by ethics and responsibility without impeding social and technical innovation. It is beautiful."

Some of you may know that I've an inclination towards all things design related. Sometimes I wished I had the time to dabble in design. To draw, illustrate, sculpt, paint. I think great design bring various values into the sphere we live in such as sustainability, accessibility, usability, empowerment, relevance and the last of which is in my opinion, core to the subsistence of design today... beauty.

Well, since I'm no graphic designer, illustrator, installation artist or sculptor, I guess I can play my part as a consumer of design to reflect my views on things that impact my surrounding and the way I live and connect with them. Which is why 10TouchPoints is such a great platform to do just that - "It is a voicebox for your opinions as users to be heard as you vote for what can be better designed."


Nice.


I guess I'll start by examining why carparks at Sentosa are not brightly lighted at night! I was out cycling last night when I crashed my bike full on into a kerb which resulted in a punctured tyre and several wounds to the elbow. Nobody could have seen the kerb in that sort of lighting I promise. My cycling buddy, Josh would have suffered the same fate had I not been in front. Thank God the bike was safe less for some scratches and a pinched saddle. Surprisingly, the front wheel was still true despite the hard impact. While I was assessing the damage, I thought to myself, "Quality stuff from great brands".

I think I'll change that thought now to, "Quality stuff... from great brands with great designs!"


Fishmonger


Oww... my elbow still hurts. (I think it's wiser not to ever question the Person who designed the human body)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home