Sunday, August 27, 2006

Lean On Me

I remember a familiar tune way back in the 1980s that always brought some cheer to me whenever I was feeling out of sorts. "Lean On Me" was one of those songs you quickly learn to play on the piano because you don't have to change fingers. You simply place your fingers in one position and go up and down the keyboard. It was that simple.

As I sit back on a Sunday evening recollecting the events of the day, this tune happened to find it's way into my head - a spent and braindead one. So i Googled it (while humming to the tune) and found the lyrics to the song. Reading it led me to understand why today wouldn't have been just an ordinary one without a precious Friend who carried me through each hour, minute and second of the way.

My Sunday started off at an unearthly hour - 4 A.M.! I was apprehensive about the day because I was going to run the Shears Bridge 21km half-marathon, rush back to tidy up my message, prepare my scores for worship later in the afternoon, play the dong-dong-chiang at 1.30pm and finally deliver my message to a panel of judges. The situation at the start of the day wasn't bright and cheery with a badly strained lower back and a flu that stucked with me for 3 days.

But press on did I and I found myself at the starting point of the race on the Esplanade bridge. My watch read 5.30am. The horn blew and I began at a brisk pace. I was already prepared for the massive jam so I did my usual weaving in and out of the human traffic. My back acted up on me again but I gritted my teeth and ran the entire race in pain. Finding the momentum was difficult with my nose blocked and phlegm stuck in my dry throat. Having disciplined my mind over the years to finish each race regardless of the circumstances, I forged ahead and finished the run in a less than perfect time.

I only realised how much pounding and impact each stride had on my strained back when I tried doing some cooling-down stretches and winced in pain as I experienced a series of muscle spasms and felt a bolt of pain shoot through my deltoids to my lower back. I knew then that this wasn't looking good at all. I hurried home in a cab and immediatedly applied a special ointment and gobbled down some muscle relaxants and pain killers to ease the pain. I prayed that God would only sustain me for the rest of the day.

But God is faithful always. A strange sense of peace and tranquility filled my mind and spirit as I touched up my message, played for service and proceeded to preach the message of my life. The better news was that the pain subsided and was more bearable. While I can attribute that to my intake of muscle relaxants, I knew my God, Jehovah Rapha, was at work.


The verdict? I guess I did just enough to proceed on to the second round. The glory goes back to Him. He alone deserves all praise and honour.

Lean on Jesus, somebody?


Fishmonger

2 Comments:

Blogger mirabop said...

Thanks bro for sharing your day. It spoke a lot to me, especially that i had a similar schedule (minus your dong dong chang of cos =p) yesterday yet very different experience.

Thanks for reminding us to lean on Him for all things, and at all times. =)

6:17 PM  
Blogger Fishmonger said...

Amen =) Would love to see your preaching on YouTube soon!

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home