Monday, October 02, 2006

What It Takes


Four ironman athletes. Four human beings. Four stories. One dream.

"What It Takes" is a documentary profiling 4 world-class triathletes in their quest for the 'holy grail' - the 2005
Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii. This is the ultimate race that consumes every professional triathlete and pushes them to attain the title of world champion year after year. The movie includes footage of the athletes training, racing and resting, and also opening up in extensive interviews to share their thoughts and feelings. Besides learning about the sport of triathlon and the duel for athletic supremacy, viewers will also understand the very human issues which confront these athletes in an up-and-down, unpredictable year.

As some of you already know, my dream, yes my athletic quest in life is to complete an Ironman. Come November, I will embark on 3 solid months of intensive training to prepare myself for this race in February 2007. Of course, mine is not going to be held in Hawaii lah, that's for the 'sat-sat' pros. Ironman races are held all over the world and the only one in Asia is in Langkawi, Malaysia (incidentally, it's also touted as the toughest, yes read TOUGHEST, ironman race in the world due to the extreme heat and humidity). It ain't gonna be easy. 5-6 days a week, 2 disciplines a day is a crazy crazy schedule for a man who works 9-10 hours during the day and still gives his life to the ministry b'cos he's madly in love with God.

I don't think it's impossible. There'll be little adjustments I'll need to make and some support and help I'll need, but I don't reckon it cannot be done. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Triathlon is in so many ways related to my spiritual walk with God. Consistency, Discipline, Perseverance. Words all too familiar to us, eh? From the pulpit, to your pastor, to your cell leader... we hear it all the time, don't we? In fact, it's so foundational to Christian living we often like to preach about it but find difficulty in living it out =)

And so, such is the journey I'll be embarking on. To my guys, you watch me run this race and make sure I run it well. I'll do my best to finish under my target of 14 hours. When I'm finally done, I wanna see each of you begin your own journeys of pursuing your God-given dreams and persevering through, right to the finishing line. I'll be there, with you, cheering and supporting, so you know you'll never be alone.


Fishmonger

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home