Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Contiuum - A Review



I just finished listening to John Mayer's latest album, Continuum. This, my friends, is a must hear. While not his most entertaining album, it’s by far his most complete, mature, and masterful album to date. To be honest, this isn’t an album that you automatically love (as with 'Room For Squares'). Rather, it’s an album that you really have to listen closely to appreciate. If you listen to this album without really hearing it, you may find it to be a rather dull experience. This man/musician/creative genius is a brilliant musical craftsman at work, bringing together soul, funk, jazz and R&B to form his unique blend of music. Into his 4th album, he seems to have matured a lot, evident from his rich lyrics and personal, soulful sentiments his music evokes.

I had the chance to catch him LIVE when I was in Melbourne and he totally blew me off with his level of musicianship. He was at his finest I reckon (maybe drop-outs at Berkely make the greatest musicians after all). The band was so tight you almost felt like you were rocking to a CD being played. Especially when each song varied so much in tempo from the other (drummers, you know, not easy keeping time!). What's amazing is that he doesn't do a song in the same way for every concert. There's always an improvisation each time. Cool eh? It shows just how much talent this young lad has. Each time I turn on his music, I am somehow transported back to Melbourne where I was first introduced to John Mayer. I would always reminisce driving down the long coastal roads of Melbourne, with the car on cruise control and me seated far behind the wheel humming 'Back to You' and grinning from ear to ear. Boy, that was LIFE.

Heh. For those of you who haven't heard his very first album debut, 'Inside Wants Out' (before he got famous), I do have it! It's so rare now that you can hardly find it in CD shops or even on his online store. It's a raw, acoustic feel. I simply love it.

Oh John, would you come by this small, tiny little island someday?


Fishmonger

2 Comments:

Blogger Jason Song said...

Btw just wanted to remind everyone i am going to the continuum concert on Nov 1st. Updates on my blog..hehe

8:53 AM  
Blogger Fishmonger said...

So how did the concert go bro?

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home